Report on the Experience of Clinical Application of «ALMAG ACTIVE» Magnet Therapy Device in Patients with Musculoskeletal System Diseases
State Budgetary Institution Of Health Care of Vladimir Region «Regional Tertiary Center»
5 Tsentralnaya str., Peganovo microdistrict,Vladimir, 600901
Tel./Fax +7(4922) 26-18-12, email: firstname.lastname@example.org
№ -1/8 «» 2020
«Report on the Experience of Clinical Application of «ALMAG ACTIVE» Magnet Therapy Device in Patients with Musculoskeletal System Diseases»
«ALMAG ACTIVE» magnet therapy devices (Serial numbers: 91107, 94627, 12017, 29181, 94620) were used from 28.10.2019 to 25.12.2019 in the premises of the Department of Orthopaedics and Trauma No. 2 (DOT 2), which provides specialized medical care to patients with diseases of the musculoskeletal system.
In this department, patients with osteochondropathy of various localization (Osgood-Schlatter, Keller, Haglund, Legg-Calve-Perthes diseases), coxarthrosis, gonarthrosis, malformations of limbs, injuries, and their consequences receive operative and conservative treatment.
The department provides advisory assistance to trauma departments of hospitals in Vladimir and to the Central Regional Hospital of Vladimir Region. «ALMAG ACTIVE» was used in patients with the following diseases:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee: 33 subjects (30 women + 3 men, aged 50-70).
- Osteoarthritis of the hip: 8 subjects (6 women + 2 men, aged 50-70).
- Osteoarthritis of the ankle: 9 subjects (7 women + 2 men, aged 35-60).
Prominent heel: 12 subjects (10 men + 2 women, aged 60-75).
Osteochondropathies: 15 subjects (10 men + 5 women, aged 20-50).
The control group, in which the magnet therapy was not used, was monitored in parallel; in this group patients were given the standard drug therapy and exercise therapy.
The control group included patients with the following diseases:
- Osteoarthritis of the knee: 12 subjects (9 women + 3 men aged 55-75).
- Osteoarthritis of the hip joints: 3 subjects (2 women + 1 man, aged 50-70).
- Osteoarthritis of the ankle joints: 4 subjects (2 women + 2 men, aged 35-50).
- Prominent heel: 2 subjects (2 men, aged 60-70). Osteochondropathies: 5 subjects (3 men + 2 women, aged 20-40).
The magnet therapy with ALMAG ACTIVE devices was given according to the following procedures:
- In the case of osteoarthritis of the joint, the band consisting of four coils was placed around the joint in a spiral. In the case of damage of two joints, one pair of coils was placed on one affected joint, the other pair — on the other.
- In the cases of prominent heel and osteochondropathy, the procedure was performed according to the transverse technique: the pairs of coils were placed on both sides of the abnormal focus.
During the first three days of treatment, the device was used in mode 3, during the following days — in mode 1. The procedures lasted 10 minutes and their duration was gradually increased to 15 minutes as the study proceeded. The course included 10-12 procedures.
The results of treatment were evaluated using various methods:
- VAS scale (pain syndrome);
- Patient survey on the dynamics of subjective feelings, every second day;
- Physical methods of the study, including the joint angle movement evaluation.
Results of the Use of «ALMAG ACTIVE»
We evaluated the dynamics of complaints and well-being of patients using a daily survey and analysis of progress notes in the patients' medical histories.
The majority of patients (60 subjects — 85.7%) who received magnet therapy noted a significant improvement in well-being within a week of the start of the treatment (6 magnet therapy procedures). The improvement was expressed in a decrease in the severity of pain at rest and walking-evoked pain, improvement in swelling of the periarticular tissues, improvement in their soreness during palpation; the patients' sleep and general well-being improved as well. In the group of patients who were prescribed only the drug and exercise therapy, such dynamics was observed only in half of the patients (13 subjects — 50%) by the end of the first week of treatment.
At the end of the course of treatment (12 magnet therapy procedures), 70 patients of the treatment group (90.9 %) showed complete improvement in terms of general well-being, pain syndrome, pain during palpation, and sleep. 7 subjects (8.1%) showed a significant decrease in the severity of pain at rest and walking-evoked pain, improvement in swelling of the periarticular tissues; the patients' sleep improved as well. In the control group, by the end of the course of treatment (12 magnet therapy procedures without "ALMAG ACTIVE"), such dynamics was observed in 17 subjects (65.38 %). At the end of the course of treatment, 9 subjects (34.6%) showed moderate pain syndrome at rest and walking, moderate pain during palpation, and slightly improved sleep quality.
1. Comparative Dynamics of Average Visual Analog Scale Indices in the Treatment Group:
Average pain index in patients "BEFORE" the course of treatment with «ALMAG ACTIVE» (Fig. 1)
Average pain index in patients "AFTER" the course of treatment with «ALMAG ACTIVE» (Fig. 2)
2. Comparative Dynamics of Average Visual Analog Scale Indices in the Control Group:
Average pain index in patients of the control group at admission to the hospital (Fig. 3)
Average pain index in patients of the control group after 12 days of treatment without the «ALMAG ACTIVE» course treatment (Fig. 4)
Comparative Table 1. Changes in the Joint Angle Movement Evaluation Indices in the Treatment and Control Groups:
|Main joint flexion angle (degrees)||Main joint extension angle (degrees)|
|Osteoarthritis of the knee||before||after||before||after|
|Osteoarthritis of the hip||
of the ankles
of the knee
of the hip
of the hip
No adverse effects during the use of «ALMAG ACTIVE» were noted.
The results of the observations showed the efficacy of the "ALMAG ACTIVE" in patients with diseases of the musculoskeletal system: the use of magnetotherapy in comprehensive treatment programs allows to achieve the best treatment results in a shorter time periods, particularly, the study showed a more pronounced and rapid relief of pain syndrome in patients receiving magnetotherapy with «ALMAG ACTIVE»
The absence of adverse effects during usage indicates the safety of «ALMAG ACTIVE».
It is recommended to use «ALMAG ACTIVE» within combination treatment for the following diseases: osteoarthritis of the knee, osteoarthritis of the ankle, osteoarthritis of the hip, prominent heel, osteochondropathy
Head of the Department of Physiotherapy and Physical Therapy